If you’ve been involved in a car accident and sustained an injury, it is important to understand your legal rights. As Milwaukee car accident attorneys, we understand the important steps you should, and should not take after an accident.
Here are the six mistakes you should avoid if you are involved in or injured in an auto accident.
- Not calling police when they should be called. Wisconsin law provides that you should call police if you estimate there was $1,000.00 or more damage to any one person’s property, or if anyone was injured, or if there was $200.00 or more damage to government property, such as traffic signs, street lights, anything oth
er than vehicles. If you have met any of these criteria, it is important to call the police immediately and make sure they become involved.
- If the police are not called, our team of experienced Milwaukee auto accident attorneys thinks it is important to collect information from the other parties involved. This would be their name, address, phone number, driver’s license number, the make and model of their vehicle, and their license plate. People are also required to have an insurance card with them when they drive, and getting the appropriate insurance information, including the name of the insurance company and the policy number, will also be helpful.
- Many times, people feel they are just shook up, and their injuries will heal. In many cases, this is probably accurate. However, if you feel you are not getting better within several hours, you may want to contact your primary care doctor, go to an emergency room, or an urgent care clinic. Delaying the receipt of medical treatment for even several days can set back your overall recovery, and also makes it more difficult to fully recover if you pursue your case.
- An important part of getting the medical care is to disclose all of the injuries you have received in the accident. Many times, people have one very significant problem, such as neck pain that is causing headaches, such that they ignore minor problems, such as an unusual feeling in their shoulder. Sometimes the neck pain and headaches will go away, but the longstanding injury, that is chronic, comes from the shoulder. That is why it is important to report everything to your doctor. Certainly do not embellish or exaggerate your injuries, but be complete in listing all of your problems you are experiencing. It is also important that you have proper follow up.
- If a doctor indicates you should return for a follow up visit in two weeks, make sure it is not two months. Gaps in treatment create problems both medically and legally.
- You should also talk to a Milwaukee car accident lawyer very soon after your accident. There are several things that can be done that should be done immediately, that people are not able to take care of on their own. For example, attempting to preserve the surveillance tapes from cameras in the area of the accident, or documenting the scene of the accident, including any damage that was done to the vehicles or the property around the accident. Another reason to get legal help early is to be prepared for when an insurance adjuster attempts to take a recorded statement, or get signed medical authorizations. Not understanding your rights only benefits the insurance company. The adjusters that handle these claims know the claim process works, and can certainly use that to their advantage. You will typically need help on what to do.
Do you have any questions for our team of car accident attorneys and personal injury attorneys? Let us know how we can help. Be prepared at all time with our FREE car accident checklist, that can help you remember the important steps you need to take after a car wreak.
At Murphy & Prachthauser we are car accident lawyers in Milwaukee and personal injury attorneys in Milwaukee who practice the law the way it should be practiced – motivated and equipped to do our best for you. We take pride in being good lawyers who help people.
If you have a case you would like to speak to a personal injury lawyer about, please contact us to schedule a free consultation and get an experienced Milwaukee auto accident attorneys and Milwaukee personal injury lawyers working on your behalf.