Summer and vacation are almost synonymous, but what if you just don’t have the time to take a long trip? As Milwaukee auto accident lawyers, we understand the desire to enjoy a true getaway without hours spent in the car or in line for airport security.
Here are four ideas for weekend getaways that are one hour or less from Milwaukee.
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
Easy access for wealthy Chicago residents has made Lake Geneva a luxurious getaway spot since the 1800s. Only 45 miles southwest of Milwaukee, the Walworth county area has everything from fine dining to challenging trails that will make a fine mess of your boots or bike.
- Enjoy Geneva Lake itself via the many beaches, or water activities like boating, kayaking and even stand-up paddleboarding.
- Both downtown Lake Geneva and the many area resorts offer amazing dining and shopping options.
- Golf at one (or more) of the many world-class courses in the Lake Geneva area, and get big savings by purchasing the Lake Geneva Area Golf Trail passport.
- Enjoy miles of scenic hiking and biking trails in greater Walworth County.
- Only a few miles away from Lake Geneva, Burlington hosts numerous festivals and other fun events.
Wisconsin’s capital has something to offer everyone, from nostalgic alumni to new Wisconsin residents. We love Madison as a getaway idea because it has nearly all of the amenities of a big city vacation, while being located right in your backyard. Here are some of our top ideas for a visit to Madison:
- Tour the Wisconsin State Capitol
- Explore the well-known Dane County Farmers Market
- Sample something new during Madison Restaurant Week
- Get some culture at Madison’s Gallery night, held on the first Friday in May and October each year. Can’t wait? Visit the Madison Museum of Contemporary Art, or the Madison Children’s Museum.
The Sheboygan and Elkhart Lake area of Wisconsin is less than an hour north of Milwaukee, but has gorgeous scenery and unique small towns that will offer you a true escape. Here are a few Sheboygan County highlights:
- Visit the Kohler Design Center for remodelling inspiration or a factory tour
- Stroll historic downtown Sheboygan Falls and enjoy unique shopping and dining
- Take in some amazing race action at Road America
- Hike some of the many miles of Sheboygan County trails
- Spend a day on the water at beautiful Elkhart Lake
- Golf at Quit Quit Golf Club, or world-famous Whistling Straits
Waukesha County, Wisconsin
Waukesha and Pewaukee are a lot more than just Milwaukee suburbs. With beautiful scenery, interesting history and many fun (and warm) inland lakes, you just might find a great weekend getaway right off of the Interstate.
- Delafield offers a quaint historic downtown filled with dining, shopping, and spring and fall Art Walk events.
- The Lapham Peak Unit of the Kettle Moraine State Forest has many trails and events for the whole family to explore.
- Explore the shops and restaurants Genesee Depot and Downtown Waukesha, including a stop at the Waukesha Farmer’s Market.
- Get out on the water, or just enjoy dinner at summertime favorite Okauchee Lake.
- Interested in history, theater, and music? Make sure to tour Ten Chimneys, the estate created by Broadway legends Alfred Lunt and Lynn Fontanne.
We hope these four ideas have inspired you to hit the road and explore more of Wisconsin. Let us know your favorite weekend getaway ideas, and if we missed any of your favorite spots in these four special locations.
At Murphy & Prachthauser we practice personal injury law the way it should be practiced – motivated and equipped to do our best for you. We take pride in being good lawyers who help people.
If you have a case you would like to speak to a Milwaukee auto accident lawyer about, please contact us to schedule a free consultation and get an experienced team of lawyers working on your behalf.